The Multi-Verse Project

A multi crossover and fusion site. If just for a visit or for something long term, there' s a bit of something for everyone.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Beyond The Star Sea

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-12, 2:38 pm

Galan had no way of knowing if it was intentional and he doubted it(maybe?) but he could use little cues from what Arkay said to Carlie to help with things. Granted he he had a..lack of experience with things and what worked for them may not work for him but he could use in more general things that might help him when he interacted with Lina in attempt to court them.

Not that it make them any less nervous but one thing at a time.

"I wouldn't mind going for a walk." Carlie answered smiling lightly. "This city slash space station has a lot of issues but some of the places you can visit you can't beat. Nothing beats a walk through certain parts of the city, espeically at night. Just as long as you avoid the problem areas or know how to handle yourself."

Sumia finished her light clean up as she went to sit down at the table herself, she had a large almost comically large stack of pancake. For a woman who certainly looked more on the demure side it seemed a bit out of place. "I have two questions if you don't mind then. One, when would I first start my new job? And two is there anything I should know about Verina personality wise? Rish are extremely intelligent and I'd like to get on with them. I assume they're well behaved but still it doesn't hurt to ask."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verseproject.4rumer.com
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-12, 4:19 pm

Just the walk would be more than fine. She was right about this place having some nice scenery. Some places were very... colorful, in a cyberpunk-y type of way. And, of course, there were parks here and there--some of them were very nice places to relax, too. He gave her that patented charming smile of his. "It's a date, then." He stole a quick glance at Galan out of the corner of his eyes, as if to say 'take notes'.

Arkay blinked at the... stacked stack of pancakes. Geez, this woman sure had a big appetite. Not saiyan big, but... more than him. Was it a biodroid thing or just a Sumia thing? He didn't want to be rude by asking, so he instead moved on to answering her question. "Hm, assuming your schedule's all sorted out, I'd prefer it sooner, rather than later. Here, I'll give you my address." He whipped out an old-fashioned pen and paper, jotted down his address--which was actually very close--and handed it to Sumia. "Verina... well, as you can imagine just from her breed and my comments, she and Hisako are close. Ninety-nine percent of the time, if Hisako's around, she'll be somewhere nearby. If she leaves Hisako's presence, then that's a surefire sign she trusts you with her. I'd... honestly liken her to the canine equivalent of a doting older sister, more than anything. It might take a while for her to warm up to you enough to consider you part of her pack, but I figure it'll happen... especially if you sneak her a snack every now and then." Verina was a hungry pooch, no getting around it. Expensive as heck, but worth every penny and more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-12, 10:56 pm

Gods, I haven't been on a date in years...

Hopefully Arkay didn't pick on that.

From her observations she didn't have to worry too much since he seemed to be the type to respect people's privacy which was something that normally made her cautious around telepaths. There was the age old question of they could be reading minds and not act on any of the information out of politeness or to keep their cards closed to their chest but it wasn't there here or there.

For now she was content with the answer and took it for what it was, she was in a good enough mood almost nothing was going to knock her out of it.

Almost nothing. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

"She sounds like a character. I'll be sure to bring some snacks along for her eventually. Maybe she'll like some of my recipes I made for dogs."
Sumia ate her food politely though her pace was a bit on the faster side of things. She was sure she'd have a good time spending time with the wolf dog and the adorable little girl that was his daughter when time permitted.

An idle thought came to Galan then, but it came from curiousity in part. "Say Arkay if you don't mind me asking, what was your first big merc mission? You know, in Meus Ceus?"

Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-13, 5:01 pm

Arkay picked up on her improved mood--not through his psychic powers, but just from visual cues. Posture, tail movements, and so on--and his grin widened. Good, that had been his intention. For clients he liked--and hoo boy was he liking Carlie more and more--he always tried to go the extra mile to make their life a little better. And Carlie... well, he got the impression that she was at least a bit stressed out. And a fun date was just the thing to help fight that stress. A nice lunch, a walk... perhaps other things, if they happened upon something interesting.

Still, he liked seeing Carlie happy. Hell, he liked seeing people happy--and not just because he could sometimes pick up on strong emotions. Life was supposed to be fun, not a slog, in his view.

He'd begun to dig into his pancakes when Galan asked him about his first job. Huh, yeah, people often wanted to know about that. It was a long story, and he really didn't feel like giving anything more than a brief synopsis. "First major one... is a bit of a sore spot. It started out as routine bodyguard work, and ended up with me... saving a world." He paused to scarf down a pancake or two, washing 'em down with a nice, cool glass of OJ. "It's... way too long a story to tell right now, but the reason it's a sore spot is because, right before this job ended, the... thing I saved that world from isolated me into a mental... world, I guess. There, it appeared to me in the guise of... of Senara, as well as Hisako. Its act was perfect--it really was like we'd all been reunited. I called it out and it proved to be remarkably honest. What I was experiencing--this... ever-distant dream--could be mine again, if only I just released it. If I did that, it would revive Senara, cure her disease, and leave me be."

He sighed and his expression became almost unreadable, though there was a definite hint of sadness. "It was strong, but its mental defenses weren't enough to keep me out of its mind... and it was telling the truth. It really was capable of reviving the dead, of curing her. I... and then it began to sweeten the deal further. Power, riches, anything my heart desired, if I would just release it to do with that world as it pleased." Another pause as he composed himself. "Before that, I thought that I would give anything, pay any price just to hold Senara in my arms again, but... she didn't fall in love with a man who would callously sacrifice billions just to satisfy his own selfish desires.  I refused, and broke the mental world's hold on me, although that too was painful. Perhaps even more painful, for I had to give up--kill with my own hands--that which I wanted the most. Even if it was just... some evil thing wearing their images, having to do that was... it was..."

He paused and swallowed, then continued, not even bothering to finish that sentence. "When I came to, it was all over. The side I'd been contracted to had emerged victorious, and people were cautiously beginning to celebrate. I... I just went away from the others--my friends I'd made during that job--and... bawled my eyes out, not gonna lie. I left the planet pretty soon after, even though I was offered a life of luxury there. Just... too many bad memories for me to settle, yeah?"

He looked at Galan. "...probably not what you expected, huh kid?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-13, 5:40 pm

Galan had been hoping to hear maybe some interesting stories of his first mission and the people he had met along the way. A merc job wasn't all fame and glamour and from his limited experience talking to others it could get rather ugly depending on the job and where you ended up at. The more distressing news instead wasn't what he was expecting to hear.

There was a slight awkwardness at the table after, Galan couldn't have known but he felt it was partially his fault anyway. "..No. Sorry for asking I didn't..I didn't expect anything like that.."

Sumia watched silently for a bit, her expression hard to read before she spoke again. "I don't want to put words in his mouth, but if he told you he probably dealt with it internally already. I'm sorry you had to go through that and I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share even if we just met."

On her end Carlie wasn't sure but Sumia dealt with personal loss more then anyone else here save for Arkay so to an extent she'd trust her judgement. This sort of thing was completely out of her element far as personal experience but saying and doing nothing didn't feel right. Nor was it her nature.

She briefly gave Arkay's shoulder a gentle reassuring squeeze, the most she'd be comfortable with and the most she'd think wasn't overly intrusive for relative strangers. "I have to be honest, you're probably a better person me in that sense. If I was in the same situation I'd like to say for sure I turn it down but..I don't know."

"We often don't until we're put in those situations, but I think you would ultimately do the right thing in the end. Not everyone is built of the same stuff, and it be boring if they were." Sumia at least was confident in that fact, but she did decide to pivot a bit to steer the conversation into something that didn't dig into sore wounds. "That being said, in general if you ever need an ear for someone to listen to I'll be around. I might not look it but I'm older then I look. I like to think I have some wisdom burred in there somewhere."
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-13, 10:24 pm

"Don't worry about it, Galan. As Sumia said, I've mostly dealt with it, and I'm a pretty candid person to begin with," said Arkay. He'd mostly dealt with it, but... not completely. "And even though we just met, I've already taken a shine to you three. I've been such a workaholic and... uh... dadaholic for a while that I haven't really had much of a social life. I think this one'll be a lot more fun than my last few jobs."

He appreciated Carlie's shoulder-squeeze, and his initial/instinctive reaction was to reach up and place his hand on hers... though he reined in that urge at the last moment--didn't want to overstep his bounds and embarrass the both of them. Arkay also had a hunch that it might provoke a bit of gentle teasing from Sumia. Not that he'd mind that. "Thankfully, most people will never have to face that sort of situation. But... I think you'd do the right thing, too, Carlie. I haven't known you for long, yeah, but I'm usually a pretty good judge of character. Blah blah psychic intuition and all that jazz." That last part was said with a smirk and a slightly mirthful tone. "As for the offer, Sumia, I may take you up on it. I also knew you were older than you look, but, as they say, asking a woman her age is rude, so I didn't inquire."

Arkay paused as a thought occurred to him. "Say, Sumia, is is possible that... thing may have been an Abyssal Demon? I ran into it a few times over the course of that job and it did give off strong impressions of malice and malevolence... among other things. Somehow, it knew that I wasn't a native of Meus Ceus almost right off the bat."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-16, 12:11 am

"If you say so." Galan on that part let it be, if Arkay said he was fine with it on top of what Sumia had said moments ago then he wasn't going to beat himself up over an over sight. He didn't know Arkay all that well but he was nice enough and easy to get along with so the last thing he had wanted to do was upset them in anyway.

"Thanks. I could always use the vote of confidence for a pick me up." Hopefully Carlie would never have to be in such a situation in the first place. She was also happy Arkay didn't react negative to the slight comforting gesture so she guessed correctly of that not over stepping her bounds and doing too much at once for relative strangers.

The last question caught Sumia's attention fully. "..It may have been. There aren't many beings that can sense that sort of thing save for different pockets. When you ran into them, how did they act? And what did they look like?"
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-16, 11:26 pm

Arkay leaned back in his chair and thought a bit. "It, or rather she, called herself Ilhana, and she behaved... hm, at first, she was extremely hostile and dismissive, though not to the point of violence. More like she didn't even consider anyone else a person. As time went on and we became... closer, she mellowed out, at least towards me. Honestly, Abyssal or not, I... do think she was very lonely, in several ways. Viewing everyone else as not a person or even as a potential enemy... that seems like a very lonely way to live, to me." He paused for a moment, mulling over whether he should tell them about that. He was a candid guy, as he said before, but... nah. After a moment, he cleared his throat. "Ultimately, though, my group came into conflict with her when it was revealed that she was the one masterminding most of the troubles on that world and... yeah, she ended up being re-sealed. During that... final mental world encounter, I did actually try to convince her to turn over a new leaf. She, believe it or not, seemed to seriously consider the offer, but ultimately rejected it, believing that she'd simply gone too far down her chosen path to turn back at that point. Part of the reason I cried after everything was over was because I felt like if I'd done this or that or said something other than what I did, she may have accepted the offer I made. Instead, her greatest fear--being locked in that small cage again--became a reality..." His tone as he said this was legitimately remorseful, and his shoulders drooped a bit, accentuating the sense of remorse. He really had been fond of her, despite all she'd done, and he really couldn't bring himself to hate her.

He sighed and shook his head. "Anyway, as for what she looks like... well, she was a shapeshifter, so it varied, but generally she preferred this form..." Closing his eyes, he projected the image of Ilhana into their minds. She was... quite beautiful, in an otherworldly sort of way, with pale white skin, very long white hair, beautiful icey blue eyes, and a tail tipped with a very sharp triangular... head. Her clothing was simple, but elegant, and gave off the impression of high social status. "So, does that image scream 'Abyssal Demon' to you, Sumia?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-18, 1:53 pm

Both Carlie and Galan were taken back by the last part not so much the woman was an Abyssal but the fact Arkay was, or had been trying to help them. For the both of them all the stories of them had been of complete monsters that couldn't be talked to or reasoned with, they simply existed to cause destruction in their wake. It was one of the few less grey areas they had to worry about since in Meus Ceus at least there was almost not such thing as an inherently 'evil' race.

Because of what Sumia was, projecting an image was a bit..odd. It took a bit more time for it to properly filter through so to speak. While technically her brain was a computer, the important issue was the 'bio mechanical' part so in many ways it functioned like a normal person but not at the same time depending on what it was.

"She does. She may have been one." Sumia said, thinking. "Or its possible she was a Netherworld Demon of some kind but I find that less likely.." As if to answer Carlie and Galan's internal questioning she went on. "If you two are a bit surprised, don't be. There has been cases, though not common of Abyssals mellowing out for a lack of a better word. It pretty much always requires outside influence of some kind though. If they do it completely, the aura of malice they have around themselves goes away, too."

"But should that sort of thing be possible? If made up of malice?" Galan asked something that had been on his mind since it started.

"Yes and no." Sumia tried to recall all the little details from before. "We don't exactly have a large enough same size to truly make a definite statement, but perhaps nurture can in part or mostly patch that part of themselves. At least for those that can talk and aren't the destroy everything in sight everywhere variety. Since they aren't native to our world and no has exactly got to where they go and came back, we can't say much either. It could be its more nusanced then we previously thought. Or they're just outliers. It's impossible for me to say right now."
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-18, 3:21 pm

Arkay felt the... resistance Sumia's mind had to his mental projection. It still went through, but it was like straining a liquid through a sieve... delayed. Interesting. Did that mean that biodroids had some measure of defense against mental attack? Obviously, it would still go through, eventually, but the extra few seconds required for a mental attack to take effect could make all the difference.

Arkay listened with interest as Sumia explained that it was possible--even likely--that she had been an Abyssal Demon. Or a netherworld demon, even if that wasn't as likely. As he listened, he finished off his pancakes, savoring the taste as best as he could. Normally, he'd have eaten them slower, but he'd dallied and they were getting cold. When Sumia finished, he spoke up.

"...I see, so it's possible I was actually getting through to her. I'm not sure whether that makes me feel better or worse, given how everything ended." He sighed and his gaze fell for a moment. "No, it definitely makes me feel worse about the whole thing. But... it's all in the past, and I did the best I could, given what was at stake." Silently, he did wonder how things would've turned out had she accepted his offer.

He sighed again and ran his fingers through his hair. "So yeah, that job's pretty much what put me on the map. I won't claim it made me super-famous or anything, but I definitely haven't been hurting for work since then." He paused for a moment. "Anyway, I'm pretty much ready to go tip-hunting and... stuff, but since I've told you my maybe-abyssal story, what about you Sumia? Surely you've had a few encounters with their kind, even with them not showing up as much anymore?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-19, 8:44 pm

Sumia had finished eating her large bout of pancakes in the time she had been talking with Arkay and the others not leaving anything else on her plate what so ever. There was part of her that wanted to say something to further comfort the young man who was feeling guilty of what he felt he had to do. The words escaped her at the given moment even as they danced on the tip of her tongue. Partially, she supposed, because there wasn't much left to be said.

And if nothing else, him hanging out would Carlie would do enough of a distraction from his mental ordeal. It wasn't until the last part of a request did Sumia bring her mental musings to the present.

"Anyway, I'm pretty much ready to go tip-hunting and... stuff, but since I've told you my maybe-abyssal story, what about you Sumia? Surely you've had a few encounters with their kind, even with them not showing up as much anymore?"

There was numerous ones, she wasn't sure which one from her memory to pluck out and present to her three friends. Some were on the sore side, others were exciting. After a moment of thought, she settled on one. "I had a intense encounter with a very powerful one on the planet named Crora, that was years ago.  There was this cult that was trying to summon and bind one to their will by bring them to our world. It didn't work as they intended as they turned against them and had plans to have their way with the people of that planet. I defeated them but..that's when I had the absolute worse luck after."

"So what happened?" Galan prompted with the obvious.

Sumia shook her head slightly. "I'm sure you're aware of the Planet Trade when it was around, I was active then. We had thought that section of the galaxy would have nothing to worry about on that front but we were wrong. They choose to attack that planet so me and my team were forced to help civilians and keep a low profile. It helps our energy can't be exactly picked up easily with traditional methods. I didn't learn until later, but we hadn't completely sealed the portal before it had enough juice to send the renamants abyssal forces through, a lord as well."

"Which basically lead to a clusterfuck battle royale on the planet with you all caught in the middle?"
Carlie clarified as they nodded. "..That's rough, glad you got out okay though. But how did you manage that?"

"It was luck and planning, really. The two forces clashed which lowered numbers on both sides while I had to sneak into one of the ships to contact Eldar of how out hand things had gotten. Unfortunately, they do jam coms for that so it was difficult sneaking in but I had the element of a intense royale going on.  It dragged on until they more or less killed off each other, most of the Abyssal forces were weaker the Trade's forces. The Commander of that 'planet sale' as they call it.." She said with a healthy dose of distaste. "..Was killed around the same time as the Abyssal Lord as they both died from wounds. The stragglers were weaker and easier to deal with, and the trade forces were gone."

"Eldar arrived and we left. It was probably my most exciting mission but I of course rather not do that ever again."

Carlie patted her shoulder. "That's one way of putting it. I'm just glad it worked out.." She then addressed Arkay. "If you're ready to go and Galan I'm game."

Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-20, 12:16 am

Arkay listened to Sumia's story with rapt attention, propping himself up on the table with his fists. Sure, she had a team, but the entire thing sounds like it was, well, a clusterfuck, and to come out of that in one piece--and with one's team in one piece, presumably--was pretty damn impressive.

...and kind of hot, actually. Arkay loved competent women, whether that was in a fight or just general competence. Other than that, heh, trippy entrance of hers, Sumia actually struck him as quite good at what she did, whether it was fightin, cooking, or babysitting. Couple that with her cute appearance and he definitely felt his attraction towards her increase a fair bit. But, attraction or no, he had work to do with Carlie, and later, a date with the lovely Acorian.

"Man, that does sound exciting... and rough," said Arkay. Sandwiched between the Planet Trade on one side and Abyssals on the other... yeah, the smartest thing to do would be to hang back and let them whittle each other down. "One of these days, I'd love for you to give me a demonstration of what you can really do, because I'm growing increasingly more curious. Unfortunately that'll have to wait." Arkay stood up and began buttoning up his shirt and coat fully. With a slight exertion of telekinetic power, put the dirty dishes into the nearby dishwasher. "Anyway, after you, Carlie. Don't have too much fun without us, Sumia." That last comment was said teasingly, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-21, 12:29 am

Sumia smiled softly at the gentle teasing as she bid the three a send off. "You three behave too. I'll see you when you get back." She had other things to intend to, not to mention the fact she needed to soon reach Arkay's house so she could get started on her new job. She loved little ones generally and from what Arkay said she was rather well behaved so it should be fine.

Galan and Carlie exited out of the home with Arkay in tow after that interesting meeting they had moments ago. If she remembered right, which she was sure she did in this case her contact would be on on the further side of town and with Arkay they could teleport there; or at least she was sure he could take other people. Even if he could, she wanted to enjoy the walk so she didn't float the idea.

She placed her hands behind her head as she followed, or lead in this case. "This slipped my mind but been curious. Have you heard of a merc group called the Risk Breakers? It's on the newer side of things but they put good work from what I hear, actually considered them at first but glad I decided on you. You're kinda nice to have around." The last part was in teasing of course.
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-23, 11:11 pm

Arkay kept pace with Carlie, keeping close enough that he could get to her quickly--and maybe show a bit of indirect interest with his proximity--but far enough away that he wasn't smothering her. "I like having you around, too," he said, with a genuine smile. Well, he couldn't claim to be in love or anything--they hadn't known each other long enough for that, but he did like her and... well, being near someone you were attracted to in itself was in itself pretty pleasant. Doubly so because of that enchanting perfume Carlie wore. Although... was it just him, or did she put it on just a bit heavier today? Ahh, probably just his imagination.

As for the mercenary group... "Yeah, I've heard of them, As you say, very new, but they're honest and do good work. Good teamwork, too, I've heard. I actually thought applying to join then, but, I'll be honest, I work better alone and I'll probably be retiring after this job or the next." He paused for a moment. "Not that I don't enjoy it, but the longer I stay in this biz, the higher the chances of me meeting someone or... thing that can actually kill me. And while I'm certain my siblings would take care of Hisako, I'd rather stick around at least until she's grown."

After a brief pause, a thought occurred to Arkay. "Ya know, it occurs to me that, given your reputation for going where others fear to tread in the pursuit of a... hot scoop, you probably have your fair share of exciting stories to tell. Any that come to mind?" Probably nothing as crazy as Abyssal Demons or anything, but she has run into things like X Parasites before, and he had a feeling that wasn't the only unusual thing she's encountered.

Hell, given that X Parasites apparently exist in Meus Carus, maybe Carlie had even met Samus Aran. Now that would be an interesting, uh... celebrity meeting. He had to admit, though, that things that were fictional back home being, well, real, was still something he was wrapping his head around. Still, it did give him a bit of an advantage, since he did consume a lot of fiction in his youth. A lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-24, 9:13 pm

Carlie did in fact have a lot of stories so she honestly wasn't too sure where to start exactly, so after the question she tried to think back her more memorable stories or ones that had a special place in her heart. After the story with Sumia, maybe something on the lighter side or just as grand in its own way so to speak.

"I have a few. Not sure where to start hm.."

Then something clicked, a story that was a bit closer to her heart. "Before Galan came along one of my older camera man and I had been doing some under cover work. On a planet named Izzalof to be more accurate, its..sorta like something out of a hell basket Sci Fi or cyberpunk novel where big corporations have control of most of the things there, or at least a lot of power. I was investigating a few things which lead me to one in particular: Vertex."

"On the surface, nothing abnormal except what you expect with the usual corruption except they were hiding things that would gravely damage their image and shut them down. The V-X Project and the Empress project. Not the most original names but besides the point. The V-X project had a different design when it first started. It was basically just civilian Biodroids what they more or less were, but Vertex in those seven children at the time saw potential in it and seized it for their own ends. And the Empress Project? We'll, imagine something like a Xenomoprh Queen in human form, more intelligent and greatly enhanced."

Galan heard this story before, but certain things still bothered him to this day which Arkay would find out if the first part wasn't a clue already. Carlie continued. "So basically, the V-X children were forced, growing up, to be hit men for them while forcing a programming thing on them to keep them in line. To keep Annalise, that is the queen in line was the safety of her surrogate sisters, as well as her mother. The catch to that fail safe to the V-X sisters is its not one hundred percent, and it can over ride it at the cost of going beserk. This is where the myth and story of them being hardened killers originally came from."

"And knowing this, the idiots thought it be a wonderful idea to let Annalise sisters drop like flies as those years rolled by where they and their mother is what kept them from turning on them. Short end of it, I got that information out of the truth of things which caused Vertex and others to go belly up. Other thing is, Annalise and Mae the mother escaped and no one has seen them since. It's assumed all the V-X sisters are KIA though."

Carlie paused a moment, then sighed. "...Sorry in hindsight that story is more depressing then it is exciting. If you're wondering how I got that information or, we'll how I'm still alive with such a powerful company I had an absurdly powerful bodyguard but she retired and the first I had a anonymous tip that want to stay that way."
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-30, 10:14 pm

Arkay had heard of the... scandal with Vertex and their projects. So it had been Carlie that broke the news, huh? That... increased his respect for her quite a bit, just knowing that, as from what he had heard--both back then and now--it was something that even the corrupt government on Izzalof couldn't ignore. He'd remembered feeling sicked at the whole thing, back then.... and he still got a knot in his stomach now, thinking of those victimized by the project, both subject and target.

"I see... so you were the one that broke that story. I'm impressed... very impressed," he said, his expression grim. "It's... yeah, depressing, but at least you were able to get it out in the open. That sort of shit... ugh.  Seeing that shithole company go belly up so fast was damn satisfying, even without being involved myself. I bet it was even better for you. And I wouldn't be surprised if the V-X sisters managed to fake their deaths and just drop off the grid. If they did, I hope they've managed to find happiness since then."

Having said that, the story didn't leave Arkay in a talkative mood, so he instead just enjoyed Carlie... and Galan's... company as they walked. Sure, he could easily teleport the three of them to their destination, but this was much preferable. Though if he were being honest, his mind was more on the date and Carlie had set up for later. Ahh, that would be so much fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-31, 8:28 pm

Carlie liked to believe that, too. She didn't have any insider information that was the case, and if it was true she'd likely never know about it with their history. Vertex may have twisted and robbed them of a normal life and a childhood but if nothing else keeping a low profile and remaining hidden should of been a skill set everyone of them had in spades and then some. The last one, Avril was it? Supposedly the last spot they had been seen had been Alus.

"It does mean Carlie probably has some powerful enemies. You know, the company might be gone but those who are around and escaped from things are probably thinking about a way to get back at them." Galan hadn't heard a peep from any would be people though that didn't mean anything. It was also possible any that had gotten away had other things to worry about and were therefore too pre occupied to do anything.

Carlie slightly shook her head. "Yeah, we'll, that's what I had Eira for and now Arkay. Not saying not to worry about shit but I can't live my life ducking under my shadow. Besides, if they come then I'm pretty sure Arkay could find out where they come from and who might work for them. So a bad thing may turn into a good thing because it might be flipped back on them."

Honestly if that was the case for her to cower down then she was very much in the wrong business in her mind.

A but further out into the city before the trio reached a large building, though before they were let in Carlie had to talk to someone, a young man behind the desk. It took only moments for them to be in the clear and have nothing to worry about to being allowed up the stairs.

Carlie led them further in after the short elevator ride reaching the top floor which was rather quite for the most part. They continued until they reached the furtherest room which seemed more important to the other ones. After some knocking there was a feminine 'come in' which lead to the doors opening on their own.

Inside was a spacious room all around, a red carpet was rolled around while in the middle was a aquarium of some kind brimming with some exotic fish. To the side was rows of books spread through out the left and right side and stacked, making something of a make shift library. As expected, there was a large desk at the end followed by large windows for a nice view down below. A faint lull of something close to classical music was in the background; whether it was from earth or just inspired by it was hard to say.

The person behind the desk was a woman that seemed to be in her mid to late thirties judging by their overall appearance. What was notable was the cat ears and tail and the slightly darker skin, the former a clear sign they were Molzon or at least a race with said features.

When the turned from looking out the window, they smiled warmly before making their way over. On closer inspection which was obvious looking at it, their stomach was slightly pudged indicating they were expecting.

"Galan, Carlie. It's good to see you two. I'm glad you could come on shorter notice." She gave them both a brief hug before backing away from the later.

"Of course." Carlie said, grinning a bit. "Always for a friend. Sides, any day now the little guy is going to poke out so can't be too far.  Nesta, this is Arkay my new bodyguard."

The older woman gaze seem to studying them, not from attraction stand point but more of feeling them out as a person it seemed. It was extremely brief though and they smiled. "It's an pleasure to meet you young man. They said the new bodyguard would be a surprise but I didn't expect you here. Part of me is not surprised about being able to pull talent. Her older friend and bodyguard was Kryptonian after all."

Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-08-10, 12:12 pm

Wait, a Kryptonian? As in... superman's species? If they were as powerful here as they were in... most media back home... oh man, he would be a hell of a downgrade. Not that he didn't have confidence in his abilities, but... Kryptonians, man. Way out of his league, in most cases.

Arkay gave the woman a quick once-over. First thing he notice was that she was a Molzon... or something like that. Second was that she was quite attractive. Third was that she was expecting. Hm, a Molzon being an... information broker made sense, especially if one were especially talented in telepathy. After all, being able to read minds, even a little, made verifying the veracity of information so much easier and more accurate. Not fool-proof, but... definitely an edge.

"The pleasure's all mine, Miss. Though I wouldn't really call myself... talent. Just one of the best bang-for-buck guys in my business. For now, anyway," said Arkay, flashing her a friendly smile. "I'm past the point where I can coast by on just investment income, so I'll be retiring after this job or the next. My daughter has an opening in her organization for a full-time father, and I think it's about time I sought a promotion, since I've had to part-time that role for years... unfortunately."

It was a damn shame it had to be that way, but his 'job' took him far and wide, but... it had really only taken him a little over a half-decade of working and careful investment (aided by his psychic abilities, of course) to set up enough passive income to retire. And it's not like he hadn't tried to make it up to her when he was around, because he definitely tried to do that.

"Anyway, if you don't mind me asking... the little one... your first? And when are they due?" She seemed a bit older than he was, so chances are she'd already had at least one child. And she was showing, so he could hazard a guess as to how far along she was, but, rarely, you'd happen upon a woman that wouldn't really 'show' all that much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-08-10, 11:07 pm

Nesta didn't believe Arkay was being fair to himself and his ability, or perhaps he was just being humble which was hard to tell with someone she literally just met seconds ago. From what she knew Arkay was strong even by Molzon standards, not quite the top warriors who were pretty insane but definitely above the norm far as the standard went.

The idea of wanting to retire made sense if he was a single parent while having to divide his attention was something she could sympathize with personally. They would probably be more then fine with their skill set along side the fact they weren't hurting for money.

Something else was mildly curious, Carlie seemed attracted to them. It was more subtle especially if you didn't know the nuances of Acorian body language that varied depending on the type but it was definitely there. She hadn't had any kind of interest in anyone in a while, so that even if it was nothing else but physical was a good sign in her book.

Nesta smiled at the question. "Not my first, no. I'll be having a baby girl but I have a son who's older." She went to sit behind her desk. "Do you three want anything to drink?"

"No, I'm fine." Galan didn't want anything to drink too soon; he was fine.

"Me too. Can't speak for Arkay."
Carlie took her own seat. "So what did you find for us?"

Pleasantries and greetings aside, Nesta was of no surprise Carlie was curious what she had to say. "I don't have as much as you'd expect this time, unfortunately but you already know I prefer telling you these things in person then on a line.  You know of Brice Asselin? Businessman? I have a suspicion they may be in..other ones. Of the body kind. Probably not directly but sources. Maybe acting as a olive branch of some sort."

Carlie frowned a bit, her mind going over possibilities. "You mean, like a underground slave ring? That's pretty big accusation. What made you go to that?"

"...."

Nesta closed her eyes briefly, as if thinking before she answered. "About a week ago I ran into a pair of women in bad shape and torn clothes. They were too scared to talk much, but from what I was able to get from them, they claimed Brice or at least someone working for them had been trying to sell them and there were others like them. Before then, they were on the streets. I picked up on them being sincere, or at least their emotions."

"By itself that's not really enough for anything, but the police only half hearted looked into it probably because Brice far as the public goes has a very good reputation. That and influence.  Breach of privacy aside, I can't pick up much of anything from them thoughts or emotions wise because they know how to ward against that."

Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-08-11, 3:46 pm

So she had an older boy, eh? Depending on the age, he might make for a good playmate for Hisako, so inquiring about that and, perhaps, arranging a playdate might be in order. That would have to be later, though. Right now, tthey had business to attend to.

Arkay shook his head at the offer of a drink, but remained standing when the others took their seats. Seeing as he was a bodyguard, he needed to remain alert and on guard, and, however slight, sitting down would lessen his ability to do the job he was hired for. He was sure the others would understand.

When Nesta started on her tip... Arkay was unsurprised. Slaves, in this day and age, were largely obsolete in an economic sense, save for one type. Sex slaves. Wherever there was a large enough population, there would be a demand for... that type of resource. People being people, someone, at some point, would fill that niche and start fulfilling that demand to make a profit. It was sickening, of course, but that's... just how things worked. The best you could do was shut the trade down and keep a close eye for signs that someone else has set up operations, shut that down... and so on.

"I hate when they do that, though stuff like that can be powered through..." Arkay's gaze drifted to the side as he thought. "And many of them don't think to defend against things like clairvoyance or psychometry, both of which are talents I do possess."

Last edited by Daiyoukai on 2018-08-13, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-08-13, 10:50 am

That was interesting, and useful but she wondered how effective it would be in the end. "How accurate would you say your ability is? And how close would you need to be?" She was thinking if it required touch of objects she could definitely get something for Arkay to test things on.

"Did they say anything else you could use? Like, names?" Carlie asked, drumming her fingers across the desk briefly, a quirk she picked up after a while. She felt she should be more upset then she was but she felt disturbingly numb to this sort of thing. She really wasn't sure if this was a good thing or not, on one hand it keep her sane but it left her feeling funny.

Nesta thought back, before shaking her head. "No, unfortunately. It makes sense to give as little away if the people working the network are more professional."
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-08-13, 12:48 pm

"For clairvoyance, it's essentially like being there myself," said Arkay. "But while some people don't think to shield against it, it's far more likely, of the two options, to have defenses in place. Psychometry, on the other hand, is a much rarer ability and warding every possible object against it would be... impractical. Never mind that most psychometry users only get vague impressions and feelings. I won't claim to be a top-class psychometric or anything, but I'm definitely better then average. Get me something to read with it and, at the very least, I think I'll be able to point us in the right direction."

Not exactly 'bodyguard' work, but he wanted to help Carlie get this story out--assuming it was, indeed, a story and not just chasing ghosts--so that this matter could be dealt with. Now, he'd prefer to deal with it himself, directly and immediately, and he was absolutely certain there was an underground slave trade on this station, but just rushing in like that could very well get him killed. No telling what sort of 'help' these guys had in their employ. More than likely he could handle things on his own, but it was better to be safe than sorry, as they said.

"Keep an ear out for any murders that might be related to this, as well. My sister Sumire can, er, talk to the dead if their spirits still linger, so she might be able to glean some information for us that way." Most criminal types didn't really believe in things like souls or an afterlife, in his experience, so the likelihood of them having enacted a countermeasure against that was very slim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-08-15, 1:48 am

Nesta, of course, had heard of all these powers and a bit of what they could for the most part. None of those gifts were exactly common, even among her kind and while pretty much all Mozlon could learn more then their starter 'gifts' some abilities you simply couldn't learn. This what effectively made each Molzon unique; while they could learn a more varied range of powers, there be some out of their grasp so instead they focus on what they excelled at.

Save for the odd, rare individuals who broke that rule like Espers.

"I think the first they would have a defense against. The second is worth a try since as you stated its not practical to ward everything from them."
Nesta was trying to think of the most practical way to go about it that also wouldn't raise suspicion. Granted, Arkay was there and Carlie was an resourceful and intelligent woman but she wasn't going to put her friend in any potential further harm if she could help it. Assuming it was anything.

Carlie leaned back a bit further into her seat, she hadn't spoken up until Nesta and Arkay said their own pieces. She didn't have powers like they had, but in this case she didn't need to offer her own insight into things. "I think our best bet is to casually go one of Brice's shows. You know, the one where their showing off some of their rare collections. Maybe Arkay could find something if we go there. It's worth a shot." She finished with a shrug.

"It's not a bad idea. I think its about in two days?" Galan added in. "I never really got into that sort of thing. It just felt too stuffy for me no offense to anyone that likes them."

Nesta snorted. "You know the answer from Carlie and I don't like them either. Yes, its not a bad one. You three should be able to get in with no problems and without causing a scene."

As far as the eye could see, various graves littered the ground as a reminder of everyone's growing mortality. Here laid the foolish, the intelligent and the naive of every race and gender, the ultimate end game to this treadmill people called life. It didn't matter what they were in life and how they had been since here was the ultimate equalizer. There was a measure of comfort and depression of those lines depending on one's point of view.

Further into the graveyard and on a hill was a smaller grave, standing there silently looking down was a man with silver hair wordlessly in the soft rain after the weather clouds had rolled in. For a bit longer they stood before retrieving a flower out of a long coat and gently placing it down as if it would break with the slightest touch.

The man was not alone, at least not for long as another one walked behind them in a blue business suit; either out of respects or they had somewhere else in mind. If the former man noticed their presence he didn't pay them any mind.

That silence continued slightly longer before former finally spoke. "..What the hell do you want Zaire?"

"It's business Kaiden." The other man smiled, as if having a conversation with a old friend. "Why, wouldn't I go to one of our best assassins that trained the V-X themselves before vanishing off into the sun set? The later is quite suspicious and we couldn't link anything to you and your..efforts on the outside. But the past is the past and-"

A grunt came from Kaiden as they turned away. "If you're doing a run around to butter me up, you're doing an exceptionally shitty job at it. The only reason your head is still attached is because I know you're not dumb enough to come up to me without an ace."

Zaire smile turned into something else, but they looked amused. "Quite. At least you haven't completely lost your edge. Vertex is no more, and as you know the V-X project is completely gone-" Kaiden tensed at that but he continued. "-However, a certain rat has sunk the ship and I'm sure you already know who. Get ride of them and you'll be rewarded-"

"No." Kaiden bit back shortly. "I told you I'm done. I'm glad your company is gone. Now if you'll exuse me and you can kindly fuck off I'll be on my way."

As they walked away, a long out and dramatic sigh came from Zaire. "Alas, you have forced me to use more brutish methods. It would be very unfortunate if something happened to your sister and her family. Mind, I do have the pictures to prove such a claim."

Kaiden froze mid walk, fist clenched. "..You son of a bitch."

A dimissive wave came from them. "Come now, I heard worse you used to be a lot more original. Now, I believe we should continue our conversation like gentleman. I want Carlie Mils dead. Very much so. Of course such a conversation is best left in private, yes? So we will continue it at my own place. Any further comments."

Kaiden disgust was clear. "Your mother should have swallowed."

"Oh that wounds me! There is the Kaiden I know. I'll take that as a yes." Zaire began walking out but paused. "Though thankfully while my mother was a whore she did do something useful as not to swallow so I am here. I'll see you there. Why you're visiting fake empty graves with no body is beyond me but each their own."

As they left, Kaiden closed his eyes before looking at the graves again. He supposed what he had in common is not able to escape where they came from, in a literal sense or a metaphysical sense in his case until death that is. It seemed karma was intent on having their way with him for a good while.  They shoved their hands into their pockets before walking away.

"..Carlie Mils huh?"
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-08-22, 10:56 pm

One of Brice's shows, eh? Not a bad idea. "I'm game. Hell, actually, this sort of thing is right up my alley, since I come--came--from an old money family and so had an interest in... antiques and such instilled into me. I've actually gone to a few of Brice's... shows over the years, so my presence there won't arouse much, if any, suspicion." Carlie's cover story was a simple matter as well: she could pose as his date.

Of course, given how these things were usually conducted, that meant that he'd get to see Carlie in more... formal attire, which would be nice. Very nice. Of course, this was a work matter, so he couldn't get too excited about the prospect, nor should he. Often, a distracted bodyguard resulted in a dead VIP. And like hell he'd let his stellar record be tarnished because he got distracted by and admittedly very sexy client. That, and, he liked Carlie on a personal level, and he didn't let people he liked die, if he could help it.

"So, two days, huh. I assume you've got a few dresses that'd be appropriate for this sort of thing, Carlie? Or, perhaps, do we need to make a quick stop at the tailor?" Arkay knew a few on-station that did damn good work at reasonable prices. Not that price was an issue, really, as secure as his finances were. "Still, looking forward to se--"

He stopped as a sense of... foreboding flashed through his mind. His expressioned darkened and he glanced in a particular direction. This was... yes, it was vague--very vague--but it was without a doubt his precognition warning him to stay on guard. After a moment, he turned his attention back to the others.  "...right, well, looking forward to seeing how you look in a dress, Carlie. And don't worry about a thing, I'll do my job when the shit hits the fan."

That he said 'when' rather than 'if' would tell the entire story about why he'd suddenly stopped and looked away. He did wish that his mid and long-term precognition were more precise, instead of just... vague feelings, but training such things was much more difficult than refining one's short-term precognition. The latter required a precognitive to expose themselves to danger, and improvement was sure to follow. Mid and long-term, however... required time and dedication. He had the dedication, but simply lacked the time.

Two days to prepare. Really, he didn't have much preparation to do. There was the date with Carlie later today, which... wasn't preparation at all, come to think of it. Maybe introduce his new employer to his family. That wasn't really standard procedure, and he wouldn't be able to introduce her to Joseph and Jotaro, as they were... hell if he knew. Adventuring. But still, he liked Carlie enough that introducing her to Hisako, Nerine, and Sumire seemed like a good idea.

Man, but... that sense of foreboding, and so early in a job, too. He understood that Carlie had made a fair number of enemies because of her work, but this was ridiculous. However, as her bodyguard, it was his job to make sure she continued living so she could keep fighting the good fight... and probably make even more enemies in the process. Man, oh man... this might end up being a for-life thing.

Not that he'd mind that, really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-08-22, 11:23 pm

Nesta listened idly to Arkay's speech, taking note of the slight pause at what he was looking forward to seeing. She didn't entirely believe what he finished his sentence with, but for reasons only she was aware of she didn't press the issue any further.

"That's about all I have for now. You're free to go, unless you have anything else to ask while you're here." Carlie might, or she might consider the meeting for now concluded with.

"Nah. But thank you at least on my end."
Carlie stood up, stretching slightly. If she noticed the fumble which was likely considering her personality and job, she choose either to let it go or talk about it later. "I probably have some get ups I can wear for it, yeah. But I think it be more fun to head to the tailor. Maybe even get Galan something to eh?"

Nesta made a dramatic gasp. "Is he going to sweep some young maiden off her feet?"

"Maybe. Or she may do the sweeping. Depends on what happens." Carlie said amused.

While Galan wanted to sink further into a pool of water into his char, he never the less cleared his throat. "..Anyway, it was nice seeing you again."

Nesta smiled warmly. "You too." She hugged Carlie then Galan, but Arkay was more a hand shake; she just met them after all. "It was interesting meeting you in person. If you hang around Carlie long enough I'm sure we'll mingle again..though I wouldn't call this brief meeting a proper one."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   

Back to top Go down

Beyond The Star Sea
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next