The Multi-Verse Project

A multi crossover and fusion site. If just for a visit or for something long term, there' s a bit of something for everyone.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Beyond The Star Sea

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-12, 2:38 pm

Galan had no way of knowing if it was intentional and he doubted it(maybe?) but he could use little cues from what Arkay said to Carlie to help with things. Granted he he had a..lack of experience with things and what worked for them may not work for him but he could use in more general things that might help him when he interacted with Lina in attempt to court them.

Not that it make them any less nervous but one thing at a time.

"I wouldn't mind going for a walk." Carlie answered smiling lightly. "This city slash space station has a lot of issues but some of the places you can visit you can't beat. Nothing beats a walk through certain parts of the city, espeically at night. Just as long as you avoid the problem areas or know how to handle yourself."

Sumia finished her light clean up as she went to sit down at the table herself, she had a large almost comically large stack of pancake. For a woman who certainly looked more on the demure side it seemed a bit out of place. "I have two questions if you don't mind then. One, when would I first start my new job? And two is there anything I should know about Verina personality wise? Rish are extremely intelligent and I'd like to get on with them. I assume they're well behaved but still it doesn't hurt to ask."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://verseproject.4rumer.com
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-12, 4:19 pm

Just the walk would be more than fine. She was right about this place having some nice scenery. Some places were very... colorful, in a cyberpunk-y type of way. And, of course, there were parks here and there--some of them were very nice places to relax, too. He gave her that patented charming smile of his. "It's a date, then." He stole a quick glance at Galan out of the corner of his eyes, as if to say 'take notes'.

Arkay blinked at the... stacked stack of pancakes. Geez, this woman sure had a big appetite. Not saiyan big, but... more than him. Was it a biodroid thing or just a Sumia thing? He didn't want to be rude by asking, so he instead moved on to answering her question. "Hm, assuming your schedule's all sorted out, I'd prefer it sooner, rather than later. Here, I'll give you my address." He whipped out an old-fashioned pen and paper, jotted down his address--which was actually very close--and handed it to Sumia. "Verina... well, as you can imagine just from her breed and my comments, she and Hisako are close. Ninety-nine percent of the time, if Hisako's around, she'll be somewhere nearby. If she leaves Hisako's presence, then that's a surefire sign she trusts you with her. I'd... honestly liken her to the canine equivalent of a doting older sister, more than anything. It might take a while for her to warm up to you enough to consider you part of her pack, but I figure it'll happen... especially if you sneak her a snack every now and then." Verina was a hungry pooch, no getting around it. Expensive as heck, but worth every penny and more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-12, 10:56 pm

Gods, I haven't been on a date in years...

Hopefully Arkay didn't pick on that.

From her observations she didn't have to worry too much since he seemed to be the type to respect people's privacy which was something that normally made her cautious around telepaths. There was the age old question of they could be reading minds and not act on any of the information out of politeness or to keep their cards closed to their chest but it wasn't there here or there.

For now she was content with the answer and took it for what it was, she was in a good enough mood almost nothing was going to knock her out of it.

Almost nothing. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

"She sounds like a character. I'll be sure to bring some snacks along for her eventually. Maybe she'll like some of my recipes I made for dogs."
Sumia ate her food politely though her pace was a bit on the faster side of things. She was sure she'd have a good time spending time with the wolf dog and the adorable little girl that was his daughter when time permitted.

An idle thought came to Galan then, but it came from curiousity in part. "Say Arkay if you don't mind me asking, what was your first big merc mission? You know, in Meus Ceus?"

Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-13, 5:01 pm

Arkay picked up on her improved mood--not through his psychic powers, but just from visual cues. Posture, tail movements, and so on--and his grin widened. Good, that had been his intention. For clients he liked--and hoo boy was he liking Carlie more and more--he always tried to go the extra mile to make their life a little better. And Carlie... well, he got the impression that she was at least a bit stressed out. And a fun date was just the thing to help fight that stress. A nice lunch, a walk... perhaps other things, if they happened upon something interesting.

Still, he liked seeing Carlie happy. Hell, he liked seeing people happy--and not just because he could sometimes pick up on strong emotions. Life was supposed to be fun, not a slog, in his view.

He'd begun to dig into his pancakes when Galan asked him about his first job. Huh, yeah, people often wanted to know about that. It was a long story, and he really didn't feel like giving anything more than a brief synopsis. "First major one... is a bit of a sore spot. It started out as routine bodyguard work, and ended up with me... saving a world." He paused to scarf down a pancake or two, washing 'em down with a nice, cool glass of OJ. "It's... way too long a story to tell right now, but the reason it's a sore spot is because, right before this job ended, the... thing I saved that world from isolated me into a mental... world, I guess. There, it appeared to me in the guise of... of Senara, as well as Hisako. Its act was perfect--it really was like we'd all been reunited. I called it out and it proved to be remarkably honest. What I was experiencing--this... ever-distant dream--could be mine again, if only I just released it. If I did that, it would revive Senara, cure her disease, and leave me be."

He sighed and his expression became almost unreadable, though there was a definite hint of sadness. "It was strong, but its mental defenses weren't enough to keep me out of its mind... and it was telling the truth. It really was capable of reviving the dead, of curing her. I... and then it began to sweeten the deal further. Power, riches, anything my heart desired, if I would just release it to do with that world as it pleased." Another pause as he composed himself. "Before that, I thought that I would give anything, pay any price just to hold Senara in my arms again, but... she didn't fall in love with a man who would callously sacrifice billions just to satisfy his own selfish desires.  I refused, and broke the mental world's hold on me, although that too was painful. Perhaps even more painful, for I had to give up--kill with my own hands--that which I wanted the most. Even if it was just... some evil thing wearing their images, having to do that was... it was..."

He paused and swallowed, then continued, not even bothering to finish that sentence. "When I came to, it was all over. The side I'd been contracted to had emerged victorious, and people were cautiously beginning to celebrate. I... I just went away from the others--my friends I'd made during that job--and... bawled my eyes out, not gonna lie. I left the planet pretty soon after, even though I was offered a life of luxury there. Just... too many bad memories for me to settle, yeah?"

He looked at Galan. "...probably not what you expected, huh kid?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-13, 5:40 pm

Galan had been hoping to hear maybe some interesting stories of his first mission and the people he had met along the way. A merc job wasn't all fame and glamour and from his limited experience talking to others it could get rather ugly depending on the job and where you ended up at. The more distressing news instead wasn't what he was expecting to hear.

There was a slight awkwardness at the table after, Galan couldn't have known but he felt it was partially his fault anyway. "..No. Sorry for asking I didn't..I didn't expect anything like that.."

Sumia watched silently for a bit, her expression hard to read before she spoke again. "I don't want to put words in his mouth, but if he told you he probably dealt with it internally already. I'm sorry you had to go through that and I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share even if we just met."

On her end Carlie wasn't sure but Sumia dealt with personal loss more then anyone else here save for Arkay so to an extent she'd trust her judgement. This sort of thing was completely out of her element far as personal experience but saying and doing nothing didn't feel right. Nor was it her nature.

She briefly gave Arkay's shoulder a gentle reassuring squeeze, the most she'd be comfortable with and the most she'd think wasn't overly intrusive for relative strangers. "I have to be honest, you're probably a better person me in that sense. If I was in the same situation I'd like to say for sure I turn it down but..I don't know."

"We often don't until we're put in those situations, but I think you would ultimately do the right thing in the end. Not everyone is built of the same stuff, and it be boring if they were." Sumia at least was confident in that fact, but she did decide to pivot a bit to steer the conversation into something that didn't dig into sore wounds. "That being said, in general if you ever need an ear for someone to listen to I'll be around. I might not look it but I'm older then I look. I like to think I have some wisdom burred in there somewhere."
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-13, 10:24 pm

"Don't worry about it, Galan. As Sumia said, I've mostly dealt with it, and I'm a pretty candid person to begin with," said Arkay. He'd mostly dealt with it, but... not completely. "And even though we just met, I've already taken a shine to you three. I've been such a workaholic and... uh... dadaholic for a while that I haven't really had much of a social life. I think this one'll be a lot more fun than my last few jobs."

He appreciated Carlie's shoulder-squeeze, and his initial/instinctive reaction was to reach up and place his hand on hers... though he reined in that urge at the last moment--didn't want to overstep his bounds and embarrass the both of them. Arkay also had a hunch that it might provoke a bit of gentle teasing from Sumia. Not that he'd mind that. "Thankfully, most people will never have to face that sort of situation. But... I think you'd do the right thing, too, Carlie. I haven't known you for long, yeah, but I'm usually a pretty good judge of character. Blah blah psychic intuition and all that jazz." That last part was said with a smirk and a slightly mirthful tone. "As for the offer, Sumia, I may take you up on it. I also knew you were older than you look, but, as they say, asking a woman her age is rude, so I didn't inquire."

Arkay paused as a thought occurred to him. "Say, Sumia, is is possible that... thing may have been an Abyssal Demon? I ran into it a few times over the course of that job and it did give off strong impressions of malice and malevolence... among other things. Somehow, it knew that I wasn't a native of Meus Ceus almost right off the bat."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-16, 12:11 am

"If you say so." Galan on that part let it be, if Arkay said he was fine with it on top of what Sumia had said moments ago then he wasn't going to beat himself up over an over sight. He didn't know Arkay all that well but he was nice enough and easy to get along with so the last thing he had wanted to do was upset them in anyway.

"Thanks. I could always use the vote of confidence for a pick me up." Hopefully Carlie would never have to be in such a situation in the first place. She was also happy Arkay didn't react negative to the slight comforting gesture so she guessed correctly of that not over stepping her bounds and doing too much at once for relative strangers.

The last question caught Sumia's attention fully. "..It may have been. There aren't many beings that can sense that sort of thing save for different pockets. When you ran into them, how did they act? And what did they look like?"
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-16, 11:26 pm

Arkay leaned back in his chair and thought a bit. "It, or rather she, called herself Ilhana, and she behaved... hm, at first, she was extremely hostile and dismissive, though not to the point of violence. More like she didn't even consider anyone else a person. As time went on and we became... closer, she mellowed out, at least towards me. Honestly, Abyssal or not, I... do think she was very lonely, in several ways. Viewing everyone else as not a person or even as a potential enemy... that seems like a very lonely way to live, to me." He paused for a moment, mulling over whether he should tell them about that. He was a candid guy, as he said before, but... nah. After a moment, he cleared his throat. "Ultimately, though, my group came into conflict with her when it was revealed that she was the one masterminding most of the troubles on that world and... yeah, she ended up being re-sealed. During that... final mental world encounter, I did actually try to convince her to turn over a new leaf. She, believe it or not, seemed to seriously consider the offer, but ultimately rejected it, believing that she'd simply gone too far down her chosen path to turn back at that point. Part of the reason I cried after everything was over was because I felt like if I'd done this or that or said something other than what I did, she may have accepted the offer I made. Instead, her greatest fear--being locked in that small cage again--became a reality..." His tone as he said this was legitimately remorseful, and his shoulders drooped a bit, accentuating the sense of remorse. He really had been fond of her, despite all she'd done, and he really couldn't bring himself to hate her.

He sighed and shook his head. "Anyway, as for what she looks like... well, she was a shapeshifter, so it varied, but generally she preferred this form..." Closing his eyes, he projected the image of Ilhana into their minds. She was... quite beautiful, in an otherworldly sort of way, with pale white skin, very long white hair, beautiful icey blue eyes, and a tail tipped with a very sharp triangular... head. Her clothing was simple, but elegant, and gave off the impression of high social status. "So, does that image scream 'Abyssal Demon' to you, Sumia?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-18, 1:53 pm

Both Carlie and Galan were taken back by the last part not so much the woman was an Abyssal but the fact Arkay was, or had been trying to help them. For the both of them all the stories of them had been of complete monsters that couldn't be talked to or reasoned with, they simply existed to cause destruction in their wake. It was one of the few less grey areas they had to worry about since in Meus Ceus at least there was almost not such thing as an inherently 'evil' race.

Because of what Sumia was, projecting an image was a bit..odd. It took a bit more time for it to properly filter through so to speak. While technically her brain was a computer, the important issue was the 'bio mechanical' part so in many ways it functioned like a normal person but not at the same time depending on what it was.

"She does. She may have been one." Sumia said, thinking. "Or its possible she was a Netherworld Demon of some kind but I find that less likely.." As if to answer Carlie and Galan's internal questioning she went on. "If you two are a bit surprised, don't be. There has been cases, though not common of Abyssals mellowing out for a lack of a better word. It pretty much always requires outside influence of some kind though. If they do it completely, the aura of malice they have around themselves goes away, too."

"But should that sort of thing be possible? If made up of malice?" Galan asked something that had been on his mind since it started.

"Yes and no." Sumia tried to recall all the little details from before. "We don't exactly have a large enough same size to truly make a definite statement, but perhaps nurture can in part or mostly patch that part of themselves. At least for those that can talk and aren't the destroy everything in sight everywhere variety. Since they aren't native to our world and no has exactly got to where they go and came back, we can't say much either. It could be its more nusanced then we previously thought. Or they're just outliers. It's impossible for me to say right now."
Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   2018-07-18, 3:21 pm

Arkay felt the... resistance Sumia's mind had to his mental projection. It still went through, but it was like straining a liquid through a sieve... delayed. Interesting. Did that mean that biodroids had some measure of defense against mental attack? Obviously, it would still go through, eventually, but the extra few seconds required for a mental attack to take effect could make all the difference.

Arkay listened with interest as Sumia explained that it was possible--even likely--that she had been an Abyssal Demon. Or a netherworld demon, even if that wasn't as likely. As he listened, he finished off his pancakes, savoring the taste as best as he could. Normally, he'd have eaten them slower, but he'd dallied and they were getting cold. When Sumia finished, he spoke up.

"...I see, so it's possible I was actually getting through to her. I'm not sure whether that makes me feel better or worse, given how everything ended." He sighed and his gaze fell for a moment. "No, it definitely makes me feel worse about the whole thing. But... it's all in the past, and I did the best I could, given what was at stake." Silently, he did wonder how things would've turned out had she accepted his offer.

He sighed again and ran his fingers through his hair. "So yeah, that job's pretty much what put me on the map. I won't claim it made me super-famous or anything, but I definitely haven't been hurting for work since then." He paused for a moment. "Anyway, I'm pretty much ready to go tip-hunting and... stuff, but since I've told you my maybe-abyssal story, what about you Sumia? Surely you've had a few encounters with their kind, even with them not showing up as much anymore?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sion Reaver
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   Yesterday at 8:44 pm

Sumia had finished eating her large bout of pancakes in the time she had been talking with Arkay and the others not leaving anything else on her plate what so ever. There was part of her that wanted to say something to further comfort the young man who was feeling guilty of what he felt he had to do. The words escaped her at the given moment even as they danced on the tip of her tongue. Partially, she supposed, because there wasn't much left to be said.

And if nothing else, him hanging out would Carlie would do enough of a distraction from his mental ordeal. It wasn't until the last part of a request did Sumia bring her mental musings to the present.

"Anyway, I'm pretty much ready to go tip-hunting and... stuff, but since I've told you my maybe-abyssal story, what about you Sumia? Surely you've had a few encounters with their kind, even with them not showing up as much anymore?"

There was numerous ones, she wasn't sure which one from her memory to pluck out and present to her three friends. Some were on the sore side, others were exciting. After a moment of thought, she settled on one. "I had a intense encounter with a very powerful one on the planet named Crora, that was years ago.  There was this cult that was trying to summon and bind one to their will by bring them to our world. It didn't work as they intended as they turned against them and had plans to have their way with the people of that planet. I defeated them but..that's when I had the absolute worse luck after."

"So what happened?" Galan prompted with the obvious.

Sumia shook her head slightly. "I'm sure you're aware of the Planet Trade when it was around, I was active then. We had thought that section of the galaxy would have nothing to worry about on that front but we were wrong. They choose to attack that planet so me and my team were forced to help civilians and keep a low profile. It helps our energy can't be exactly picked up easily with traditional methods. I didn't learn until later, but we hadn't completely sealed the portal before it had enough juice to send the renamants abyssal forces through, a lord as well."

"Which basically lead to a clusterfuck battle royale on the planet with you all caught in the middle?"
Carlie clarified as they nodded. "..That's rough, glad you got out okay though. But how did you manage that?"

"It was luck and planning, really. The two forces clashed which lowered numbers on both sides while I had to sneak into one of the ships to contact Eldar of how out hand things had gotten. Unfortunately, they do jam coms for that so it was difficult sneaking in but I had the element of a intense royale going on.  It dragged on until they more or less killed off each other, most of the Abyssal forces were weaker the Trade's forces. The Commander of that 'planet sale' as they call it.." She said with a healthy dose of distaste. "..Was killed around the same time as the Abyssal Lord as they both died from wounds. The stragglers were weaker and easier to deal with, and the trade forces were gone."

"Eldar arrived and we left. It was probably my most exciting mission but I of course rather not do that ever again."

Carlie patted her shoulder. "That's one way of putting it. I'm just glad it worked out.." She then addressed Arkay. "If you're ready to go and Galan I'm game."

Back to top Go down
Daiyoukai

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   Today at 12:16 am

Arkay listened to Sumia's story with rapt attention, propping himself up on the table with his fists. Sure, she had a team, but the entire thing sounds like it was, well, a clusterfuck, and to come out of that in one piece--and with one's team in one piece, presumably--was pretty damn impressive.

...and kind of hot, actually. Arkay loved competent women, whether that was in a fight or just general competence. Other than that, heh, trippy entrance of hers, Sumia actually struck him as quite good at what she did, whether it was fightin, cooking, or babysitting. Couple that with her cute appearance and he definitely felt his attraction towards her increase a fair bit. But, attraction or no, he had work to do with Carlie, and later, a date with the lovely Acorian.

"Man, that does sound exciting... and rough," said Arkay. Sandwiched between the Planet Trade on one side and Abyssals on the other... yeah, the smartest thing to do would be to hang back and let them whittle each other down. "One of these days, I'd love for you to give me a demonstration of what you can really do, because I'm growing increasingly more curious. Unfortunately that'll have to wait." Arkay stood up and began buttoning up his shirt and coat fully. With a slight exertion of telekinetic power, put the dirty dishes into the nearby dishwasher. "Anyway, after you, Carlie. Don't have too much fun without us, Sumia." That last comment was said teasingly, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beyond The Star Sea   

Back to top Go down

Beyond The Star Sea
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3